A Figure of Speech:
Conference on Metaphor
Third International Symposium of Cognition, Logic and Communication
16-18 December 2007
University of Latvia, Riga
Invited Speakers include:
- Prof. Anne Bezuidenhout (University of South Carolina, USA)
- Prof. Elizabeth Camp (University of Pennsylvania, USA)
- Prof. Robyn Carston (University College London, UK)
- Prof. Michael Glanzberg (University of California at Davis, USA)
- Prof. Sam Guttenplan (Birkbeck College, UK)
- Prof. David Hills (University of Stanford, USA)
- Prof. Michiel Leezenberg (University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
- Prof. Ernie Lepore (Rutgers University, USA)
- Prof. Douglas Patterson (Kansas State University)
- Prof. Esther Romero (University of Granada, Spain)
- Prof. Marga Reimer (University of Arizona, USA)
- Prof. Belen Soria (University of Granada, Spain)
- Prof. Josef Stern (University of Chicago, USA)
- Prof. Deirdre Wilson, FBA (University College London, UK)
The event will be co-hosted by the Center for Cognitive Sciences and Semantics of the University of Latvia and the Department of Philosophy at Kansas State University.
Call for Papers
NB! The submission deadline has passed, and the received papers are being reviewed.
A limited number of papers will be selected for presentation at the symposium and considered for inclusion in the proceedings in the Baltic International Yearbook of Cognition, Logic and Communication.
Time allowed for presentations is 40 minutes including discussion. Submitted papers should have a maximum of 3000 words and should be accompanied by a 200 word abstract.
Possible topics include (but are not limited to):
- Metaphor in the general theory of meaning
- Interpretation of metaphorical utterances
- Metaphor identification
- The status — semantic, epistemological, pragmatic — of metaphors
- The cognitive significance of metaphor
- Metaphor and aesthetic effects
- Natural language processing theories and metaphor
- Cognitive linguistics and metaphor
- Metaphor and rhetorical categories
All submissions should be prepared for blind review, and should be sent electronically to: email@example.com .
- Elizabeth Camp (University of Pennsylvania, USA)
- Elga Freiberga (University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia)
- Sandra Lapointe (Kansas State University, USA)
- Ernie Lepore (Rutgers University, USA)
- Jurgis Skilters (University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia)
The event is sponsored by:
- Ministry of Culture, Republic of Latvia
- Kansas State University, USA
- University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia
- The International Society for Gestalt Theory and its Applications e.V.